mouthwash for dandruff
Dandruff is a condition of the scalp caused by the action of the fungus Malassezia furfur , which generates an excessive production of dead cells. This manifests as a scaling of the scalp that is detached in whitish or yellowish plaques.
One of the most used home remedies to combat this terrible condition is mouthwash. It seems unusual, but its components can apparently help improve the condition of the scalp. To learn how to remove dandruff with Listerine read on so you can get rid of this uncomfortable problem.
mouthwash for dandruff .. Steps to follow :
Although for many it may be surprising to use Listerine to eliminate dandruff due to its association with oral hygiene, the reality is that this product was first launched on the market as an antiseptic for surgical use in 1879.
At that time, it was used to eliminate dandruff, as well as to treat insect bites, clean wounds, cure athlete’s foot and as a germicide. 16 years later, it was suggested that its properties could serve to combat halitosis (bad breath) and although it began to be used as a buccal product, it was only available for the use of medical personnel.
Finally, in 1921, Listerine reached the mass public as a product of personal hygiene for oral health, as we know it today, and its previous uses were forgotten.
The reason why Listerine can work to control or eliminate dandruff has to do with its active components. Usually, those who suffer from this uncomfortable problem resort to shampoos with a special formula to treat the fungus that produces it. And this mouth rinse has ingredients such as eucalyptol and thymol, with antifungal properties , as well as menthol and methyl salicylate, with analgesic properties , which are a combination to treat both the fungus that causes dandruff and the aftermath that it generates (itching, burning, etc).
In this other article of unCOMO we tell you how to eliminate dandruff with home remedies.
To remove the dandruff with this product you can implement several methods. The first thing to do is to pass the Listerine from its original container to the bottle with diffuser. Apply it in this way is less aggressive to your scalp, also make the liquid yield more. Now you can proceed to apply it:
- Separate your hair in strands in what clearly see the scalp. This is important since the product will go directly to the place where the dandruff originates. You do not have to wet your hair with it.
- Apply the mouthwash with the diffuser, directly on the scalp. Try to cover the largest area of your head possible.
- At the end, you can massage your head for a while to activate blood circulation and promote the action of Listerine. This step is optional.
- Let the product take effect for 5 or 10 minutes.
- Wash your hair normally.
If you do not have a bottle with diffuser you can use cotton disks . In this case you should repeat the previous procedure, only instead of applying the mouthwash with the diffuser you will wet the cotton with the Listerine and then rub your scalp with it, avoiding a sudden friction.
If the product is very strong for your scalp you can try to remove the dandruff with Listerine in this other way:
- Mix equal parts Listerine and baby oil in a bowl.
- Wash your hair as you normally do. If you use conditioner, apply it also and in the end rinse very well.
- Separate your hair in half and apply the mixture of mouthwash and oil. Try to tilt your head back to prevent the liquid from falling into your eyes.
- Leave the liquid in your hair for 10 minutes.
- Wash your hair again normally.
Before trying to remove dandruff with Listerine there are some recommendations you should keep in mind:
- If your scalp has open wounds you should not apply the product, because you could hurt yourself even more and you will aggravate the problem. That’s why you should first check with a mirror to detect any wound.
- The use of Listerine to remove dandruff is only recommended in mild cases. If the dandruff is severe it could be the symptom of another pathology, so the indicated thing is to go to the doctor.
- Any of the methods mentioned above must be applied daily for only a week. If in that lapse of time there is no improvement, we must abandon the application of the product and go to the doctor.
- During the application of the mouthwash, it is necessary to completely avoid the contact of the product with the eyes, since it could be abrasive to the mucous membranes.