What is good health..Being healthy does not only mean not suffering from any disease, but it means enjoying physical, mental and social well-being . Although the concept of health can differ in each person according to their circumstances, the basis of good health is based on correct nutritional habits and our role is fundamental when it comes to prevention.
what is good health
The World Health Organization (WHO), in its constitution approved in 1948, defines health as: “A state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not only the absence of diseases or illnesses”. In 1992 it was also added to this description “and in harmony with the environment”.
Each person is different and depending on their personal circumstances, such as age or lifestyle, having good health can involve different aspects. For example, a healthy person of the third age does not share the same conditions as a healthy elite athlete.
Although advances in medical research have allowed us to have a multitude of treatments available to prevent, control and prevent diseases, our role in caring for our own health is very important: all medical professionals agree on that in order to have good health we have to start from good nutritional habits and for that, prevention and education are fundamental pillars .
HOW CAN WE TAKE CARE OF OUR HEALTH?
– With a balanced diet . Healthy eating is one that provides the body with the essential nutrients and energy necessary to maintain our physical well-being and prevent diseases. It is rich in fruits, vegetables, cereals, legumes and low fat.
It is recommended to eat at least 5 different portions of fruits and vegetables a day, fresh and seasonal products and reduce as much as possible the consumption of sugars and salt.
So that the healthy diet does not become boring, there are many possibilities to choose foods and ways of cooking that guarantee us that our food, besides being healthy, can be pleasant. And as it is about enjoying, we can treat ourselves from time to time without remorse.
– Avoid sedentary lifestyle and exercise regularly, adapted to the conditions of each person . Physical activity helps us burn excess calories and tone muscles and bones in the face of old age.
Its practice reduces the risk of suffering from heart diseases and those related to blood pressure and cholesterol, keeps us in shape and away from stress.
Exercising does not mean crushing in the gym or letting your breath run. There are many activities, such as walking outdoors, dancing, sports of all kinds, as a team, etc., which in addition to taking care of our health, foster social relationships.
– Avoid toxic substances in our body, such as alcohol, tobacco and drugs.
– Rest properly . Maintaining good sleep hygiene is essential to recharge the physical and mental energy we spend during the day. It is necessary to enjoy a good rest and, although the necessary hours of sleep can depend on each person, it must be ensured that it is a restful sleep.
– Carry out the relevant medical check-ups according to age and physical condition . Detecting some type of health problem prematurely can help us to minimize the risks and to treat the pathology in a more effective way.
– Have a good hygiene . Maintaining the cleanliness of the body, hair and teeth prevents infections and diseases.
active social life
– Avoid stress , which damages physical and mental health in the medium and long term.
– It is very important to take care of emotional health , so social relationships should be encouraged: share experiences, externalize feelings, accept oneself, enjoy friends and family, smile and laugh often.
It does not mean that it is necessary to have a hyperactive social life or be the kings of the party, but our social life should be enough to be comfortable with our surroundings, although we must also be open to meet new people who provide us with different experiences and knowledge.
How to have good health?
Being healthy does not only mean taking care of physical aspects, but also your well-being and mental health are equally important.
If you have an appropriate psychological health, you can develop your potential by being able to deal positively with stressful situations that arise in your life, such as the loss of a loved one. In turn, you can spend and share your time with your family, friends and the community around you.
Valuing yourself and accepting yourself is a key aspect to maintaining your psychological health, which will allow you to enjoy life completely. However, if this becomes a struggle, your ability to feel, express and manage your positive and negative emotions – especially anger – will be affected. For example, if you have a permanent physical illness, have retired or been fired, you may feel depressed and stressed. These feelings often pass, but sometimes develop other more serious problems, such as depression or anxiety. Therefore, having good mental health will protect you from developing these disorders. Try to follow these 10 tips to feel a physical, emotional and mental wellbeing:
1. Follow a healthy and balanced diet.
2. Drink sensibly.
3. Stay active.
5. Sleep well.
6. Externalize your feelings.
7. Ask for help when you need it.
8. Accept yourself as is.
9. Stay in touch with your friends and loved ones.
10. Smile and laugh.
Follow a healthy and balanced diet
It is no secret that eating a healthy and balanced diet helps you maintain a healthy weight and reduce the risk of diseases such as diabetes, heart disease or stroke. Food, after all, is the fuel of our body.
You can not put diesel in a gasoline machine, so, in relation to this, you should not feed yourself inadequately – this will only make you feel bad.
Alcohol is a depressant euphoriant and affects brain functions. If you do not drink sensibly, or drink large amounts over a long period of time, you will be at risk of developing mental problems such as anxiety or depression.
In addition, you should not take drugs, such as canabbis or ecstasy as they increase the potential risk of damaging the brain.
Taking part in a physical activity regularly helps your brain release the so-called happiness hormones (endorphins), which help improve the feeling of well-being. Do what most entertains you, such as a team sport, dance, ride a bike or walk.
Exercise like tai chi will also help you feel better. Try to be active at all times: people who are unemployed or who suffer from a disease have lower self-esteem and have greater depression.